Thursday, October 8, 2009

The last obstacle

It seems to me that the main factor in Portugal's original decision to decriminalize drugs rather than legalize and regulate was the fact that they were party to several international drug conventions.

Don't get me wrong. I think world cooperation is a Good Thing. But it seems to me the focus of these conventions should be on export controls rather than domestic drug policy.

Does anyone know how to amend or pull out from these agreements? I honestly don't know much about this area. Is there a Dummies Guide to Withdrawing from International Drug Conventions?

5 comments:

  1. I wrote a short post, "U.N. Drug Prohibition 'Treaty' is a Weapon of Mass Destruction!" then after a time tracked them down. It's not just one "treaty" it seems to be three. See that post and the comment below it where I posted links to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No clue, but I expect more and more countries will try to escape the burden of these drug conventions, many of which are heavily informed by American drug policy. The problem is that US drug enforcers have expressed a willingness to flex their might in many ways (military, economic, etc etc) if other countries don't play along with their charade.

    But I think international support for this stuff is eroding. Look at Latin America. Not only are we seeing changes in domestic drug policy in several countries in Central and South America (and even Mexico), but I've seen several quotes in those stories by officials deriding "America's failed prohibitionist policies".

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, I like the way you think. :-) As you can see I started down that path too. Sorry to say but my pace in that regard seems plodding as the other balls in the air need attention.

    But if others have undertaken those efforts, hopefully someone will post links here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    the problem with getting out of the conventions is, that the US has a point based system of keeping tabs on those who support, or don't support,the war on drugs.
    Points are given according to implementation of policy,those who don't comply may be punished with economic sanctions and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some good comments here, thanks. I'm hoping to write more about this in the near future.. William do you have a link to the point system?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...